[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE:- Re: OLD Tubes/Coils (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 20:50:07 GMT
From: Robert Michaels <robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org>
To: mod1-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE:- Re: OLD Tubes/Coils

M>Hello tube coilers,
M>                    This is something of an epitaph. I was informed
M>by a work colleague today that he chucked out a couple of 833's some
M>time ago after deciding there was no use for them. Then he further
M>rubbed it in by telling me that one was brand new and in a padded
M>carton. Can you believe it???? What has gone wrong with the world?

M>Tearfully,
M>Malcolm

        There, there, there...console yourself.

        As I pointed out in a recent post (were your eyes too
        teary to see?) such tubes are neither scarce or particularly
        expensive (yet -- give it another decade).

        They are being manufactured every day in Communist China
        and Eastern Bloc countries and several firms are importing
        them in to this country.

        Cost in U.S. $ of an 833-class tube is about $30 each in
        single quantities from Communist China and somewhat more
        from Eastern Bloc countries.

        In Tesla coil service such tubes are apt to be used inter-
        mittantly and with low duty cycle. Given a little care they
        may well last longer than the person using them.

                =Always= apply plate power =gradually= after
                the filament (and cathode, if used) has come
                fully up to temperature.  Apply filament power
                gradually also.  Under-run the filament somewhat
                (say 10%) - the life will be greatly increased
                (I believe filament life goes as the inverse of
                the =fifth power= of the voltage if I remember
                correctly  [maybe only the =fourth= -- it's
                a big factor] )

        Likewise, in Tesla coiling we can be most un-fussy about
        particular tube types within a given power range and
        construction geometry (triode, pentode, etc.)

        Here -- take this -- blow your nose and wipe your eyes
        and daddy'll buy you a beer...

                                    Condolences,

                                    Robert Michaels