[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Calculating Sec. Voltage

">For now, I've been using a silly little formula I retrieved from my old
>high school physics book which is an ideal (I mean for an "ideal"
>xformer) equation -
>
>Vs   Vp   Ip
>-- = -- = --
>Ns   Np   Is
>
>(I think the 3rd part is the right way up)...  (IT ISN'T!)
	This doesn't apply at all to our Tesla coils.  They are
coupled resonant circuits, obeying different rules.  In the
absence of breakdown and resulting losses, the conservation of
energy requires (if all stored energy in the primary is transferred
to the secondary) that
1/2 Lp x ip^2 = 1/2 Ls x is^2
or Vs/Vp = square root (Ls/Lp)
Similarly,
1/2 Cp x Vp^2 = 1/2 Cs x Vs^2
Vs/Vp = square root (Cp/Cs).
	Neither of these conditions is approached "in real life",
and the actual voltages will be (much?) smaller.
Ed Phillips