[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: repair

Tesla List wrote:

> Re: repair
>
> Subscriber: Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil Tue Feb  4 22:08:24 1997
> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 06:47:00 -0500 (EST)
> From: Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: repair
>
>  ----------
> From: "tesla"-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
> To: Benson Barry; "Tesla-list-subscribers"-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
> Subject: Re: repair
> Date: Saturday, February 01, 1997 3:22AM
>
> <<File Attachment: 00000000.TXT>>
>
> Subscriber: major-at-vicksburg-dot-com Fri Jan 31 23:12:03 1997
> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 23:38:56 -0600
> From: RODERICK MAXWELL <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: repair
>
>   I just unpotted the first of four neon transformers that I got from a
> sign shop in town. The guy there told me they were 15Kv -at-30ma. I'm sure
> they are 15Kv but not so sure about the current rating as the plates
> have all been removed. I kind of went back to the dark ages in the way I
> removed the potting. I boiled them in oil! I used a burner out of a old
> space heater to heat the metal pan pan filled with diesel! I know this
> sounds dangerous folks but it was a good 20' away from anything that
> would burn including yours truly. It really speeds up the process as it
> uses solvent and heat to disolve the tar. Just don't try this at home
> folks! The core looks, and disassembles the same way discribed in the
> archives. One secondary reads megohm resistance and is probably fried.
> The other reads a little over 8kohms. Is this the usual resistance of a
> 15kv secondary? Or is this side shorted???
>
>                                  Frankensteins Helper
>                                         Max
>
> Hi Max,
> I get 2.72 kilohm between the high voltage terminals and ground,
> and  5.5 kilohm between the high voltage bushings on my Jefferson
> 15,000 volt, 60 mA transformer.  I had a bad coil on a transformer
> that I had cleaned ultrasonically.  I unwound a few layers and found the
> bad spot (wire had melted and opened??).  If that doesn't work
> then rewinding or swaping in another coil from another transfomer
> might.
> Barry

  I'm soaking the one good secondary in solvent right now to clean off
the remaining tar. But I'm still going to attempt to wind new
secondaries for the transformers because of two reasons. One. I might be
able to boost the power rating of the transformer,and two I spent HOURS
cleaning and taking apart the core and putting it back together again.
Also I removed the original plastic covering that the primary was
wrapped in, and cleaned and recovered it in glass cloth tape. Now it
looks too clean and pristine to put those black and missshapen primaries
back on the core! I guess it all goes back to my childhood when I used
to build model cars, planes, and rockets.

                                  Frankensteins Helper
                                         Max