[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Museum Coil Revisited

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Re: Museum Coil Revisited
>
> Subscriber: bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com Tue Feb  4 22:10:14 1997
> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 06:37:33 -0800
> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Museum Coil Revisited

> > Subscriber: Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil Mon Feb  3 21:25:41 1997
> > Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 06:47:00 -0500 (EST)
> > From: Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil
> > To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: Museum Coil Revisited
> >
> > I am very interested!
> > Are you refering to the capacitors
> > advertized in DC Cox's catalog
> > that are polypropylene dielectric with
> > silicone oil, extended soldered foil, and
> > will "arc over the insulator
> > before internally arcing over"?
> > He had some that were rated for 60kV
> > ac.  Would be interested in 2 (0.01uF
> > -at- 60kV with single bushing).
> > Can Plastic Caps. certify them
> > with a 1 hour cw. 300khz induction heater
> > burn in and insulator arc over
> > overvoltage test??????
> >
> > Barry
> >
> >  ----------
> > From: "tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com"-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
> > To: Benson Barry; "Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com"-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
> > Subject: Re: Museum Coil Revisited
> > Date: Thursday, January 02, 1997 5:44AM
> >
> > <<File Attachment: 00000000.TXT>>
> >
> > Thanks Chuck!
> > Sounds like we should plan to set something up after March, and tie it
> > in with a visit to see & examine the museum coils. Again, thanks for all
> > of the information you've gathered on the museum coils!! Its a shame Cox
> > isn't on Chip's list...
> >
> > FWIW, David Flinn (one of our Chicgo area coilers) says that the
> > president of Plastic Caps is interested in potentially establishing a
> > limited inventory of "off the shelf" standard value TC caps, and is
> > willing to stock limited quantities. This would save the 6-week
> > build-time from CP. They'll also derate and warranty their caps like
> > Condensor Products. Plastic Caps is the outfit Cox apparently uses for
> > his reliable museum systems (and I think these are also the ones he's
> > advertising in the TCBA). It'd be nice having a "local" source for these
> > puppies if they're priced competitively and warranted the same as CP!
> >
> > Safe coilin' to you, Chuck, and Happy New Year!
> >
> >  -- Bert --
>
> Barry,
>
> I don't know if these are the same, or if Cox had the ones used in the
> Museum Coil custom made. Best bet would be to ask him, or Plastic Caps.
> Dave Flinn or Chuck Curran - do you have any other insights on this?
>
> -- Bert --

Bert:
	I'm again a bit behind in mail trying to stay caught up.  My only
comment here is that I did describe the capacitor's that were used in
the Milwaukee Discovery World Museum coil to Tom Brown at Plastic
Capacitor's when I was ordering my new cap and he made a short comment
about that "they sounded like GE type caps".  I remember the comment but
didn't follow up on it since at the time I was too interested in getting
information on my own capacitor needs.  About 3-4 weeks and my new cap
should arrive.  I'm working on the lower frame now. It's basically a big
tray with casters just to place everything on and be able to move it
around.  Most of the work left is easier now -- not too many hours left.

Chuck