[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

transformer lamination

I have completely cleaned up and reassembled the core of the first of
four neon transformers that I got from a sign shop in town. after I put
it back together I checked the isolation between laminations with an ohm
meter. And lo and behold they read low resistance. I'm not an electrical
engineer like some of you fellas but even I know that there should be
some sort of insulating coating between the laminations to cut down on
eddy cuurents! Are neon cores supposed to be this way? The only thing I
see on the laminations is some sort of metal blueing. I guess this is to
keep them from oxidizing, I have taken appart other cores and they all
had varnish applied. I wonder if it would hurt to apply some varnish?
Any suggestions, or answers would be welcome!

                               Frankensteins Helper
                                       Max