[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Coil!

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: jd231825-at-engr.colostate.edu Fri Feb  7 00:35:13 1997
> Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 09:22:23 -0700
> From: Jeff Detweiler <jd231825-at-engr.colostate.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: First Coil!
>
> Jeremy writes:
> >>>>

> I found these plans, and I'm sure you have too at
> ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/sci/electronics/tesla/misc/sstesla.gif , they
> look relatively easy, and I have most the parts allready. (12v supply,
> capacitor, etc.)
>
> <<<<
>
> Jeremy,
>
> Before you get too gung-ho about this circuit, I have built it and want to
> mention a few of its shortcomings, although on the plus side it is an
> extremely simple circuit. BTW, I believe the original source of this
> circuit is from Robert Iannini's book "Build your own working Fiberoptic,
> Infrared, and Laser Space Age Projects" or also in his book "Build your own
> Laser, Phaser, Ion Ray gun and other space-age projects."
>
> One drawback is that there is no way to set the frequency at which the
> circuit oscillates; the resonant frequency is completely determined by the
> *physical* characteristics and geometry of the flyback transformer the
> circuit drives because of the feedback method in the circuit. I built it
> using a small flyback transformer from a monitor and measured the frequency
> to be near 100 Khz for that particular flyback. But when the output of the
> flyback transformer is hooked to a load, I found that the feedback method
> wasn't stable enough and the transformer would saturate and the circuit
> would cease oscillating. I might be able to remedy this to some extent with
> a better flyback transformer, but still the circuit design is aimed more at
> simplicity than being the most effective IMO.

Well, this would be my first coil, thanks for the info on the frequency!
I didn't realize it would be that high for the simplicity in design, but
for the amount of winds is VERY low.

> So before anyone attempts to answer your specific questions about the
> circuit, IMO I would first recommend switching to a different circuit! If
> you really want a solid state TC driver for just a flyback transformer, you
> might try Brent Turner's solid state driver from the Nov. '94 issue of
> Electronics Now (Brent is a subscriber to this list).

I've talked to Brent Turner, he is cool ;) But I didn't find any plans,
if you have these and can scan/send, I would apreciate it very much!

> A more powerful solution is using a solid-state driver hooked up to a
> secondary coil in a Tesla magnifier fashion like in Duane Bylund's solid
> state TC from the Sept. '91 issue of Radio-Electronics. Alan Sharp and
> Harri Soumalainen, both subscribers to this list, are each working on some
> really powerful solid state tesla drivers and maybe they would share some
> of their expertise with you.

You can do that? Wow! That interests me alot.

> But if I were you, I would build a capacitive-discharge type Tesla coil
> first (the "standard" TC) because they really are quite simple and it is
> relatively easy to make one that can yield 2-3 foot sparks (the veterens on
> the list can give you further advice about these coils). Any solid state
> circuit that uses a flyback transformer will give you 1" sparks at best,
> and building a higher-power solid state circuit to drive a Tesla magnifier
> coil is no trivial matter if you want decent output.

I have no available means of purchasing neons, or other high voltage
sources, I am REALLY interested in the Pole Pig transformers, they look
very sturdy, powerfull, and easy to work with. But anyhow, I am looking
at prices for any of the above, and all I have found is brand new, a
neon (15Kv) for 180$. What do you think about that? And can you get them
pre-removed from the tar mess they get boxed in?

> Hope this helps and hope others give you their opinions too.
>
> Jeff Detweiler

I would like that.

Jeremy Bair