[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: transformer lamination

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: transformer lamination
>
> Subscriber: bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com Fri Feb  7 22:54:31 1997
> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 06:14:37 -0800
> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: transformer lamination
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Subscriber: major-at-vicksburg-dot-com Fri Feb  7 00:39:27 1997
> > Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 23:23:10 -0600
> > From: RODERICK MAXWELL <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: transformer lamination
> >
> > I have completely cleaned up and reassembled the core of the first of
> > four neon transformers that I got from a sign shop in town. after I put
> > it back together I checked the isolation between laminations with an ohm
> > meter. And lo and behold they read low resistance. I'm not an electrical
> > engineer like some of you fellas but even I know that there should be
> > some sort of insulating coating between the laminations to cut down on
> > eddy cuurents! Are neon cores supposed to be this way? The only thing I
> > see on the laminations is some sort of metal blueing. I guess this is to
> > keep them from oxidizing, I have taken appart other cores and they all
> > had varnish applied. I wonder if it would hurt to apply some varnish?
> > Any suggestions, or answers would be welcome!
> >
> >                                Frankensteins Helper
> >                                        Max
>
> Roderick,
>
> You're right - laminations are usually insulated from one another. A
> _thin_ layer of varnish should work very well.
>
> -- Bert --

   Okay then I'll varnish the suckers since there seems to be enough
 clearance around the primary winding. I plan to take on the long, and
 tedious task of rewinding the secondaries for the same reason you have
 just stated (undersized wire). I may end up with lower voltage but the
 transformer should be more robust, and able to have a higher current
 output since I'll remove some of the shunts, and add pfc caps.

                              Thanks for the the information!

                                   Frankensteins Helper
                                           Max