[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Toroid

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu Fri Feb  7 00:14:20 1997
> Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 18:05:03 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Top Toroid
>
> Re:"I use only neons. The charge current is absolutely limited by the neon
> to either 60 or 120ma(depends on neon being used). It would be
> interesting if someone out there can calculate the time it actually
> takes to charge a cap from a current limited neon."
>         This is only true for a resistive or inductive load.  For
> a capacitive load the current (and resultant secondary voltage) will
> make that can be greater, approaching Vs/Rs at resonance
> (Xcap=Vsrated/Israted).
>         I'm sure this is one sure way neon transformers get zapped
> when we get too greedy and open up the primary gap too much.
> Ed Phillips

Ed and All

My point was and is that the current available to charge the cap is
limited to the point on the sine wave where we are at the given instant.
With a 60ma neon at the .707 point on the sign wave, only 42 ma
(approximately) is available as charging current. With a conventional
xformer the charging current at the .707 point would only be limited by
the impedance/resistance of the xformer winding. Therefore it appears to
me that trying to run neons with more than one cap discharge per half
cycle is self defeating because we cannot recharge the cap fast enough
to make any difference.

Skip