[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Coil!

I have no available means of purchasing neons, or other high voltage
sources, I am REALLY interested in the Pole Pig transformers, they look
very sturdy, powerfull, and easy to work with. But anyhow, I am looking
at prices for any of the above, and all I have found is brand new, a
neon (15Kv) for 180$. What do you think about that? And can you get them
pre-removed from the tar mess they get boxed in?
<<<<

Jeremy,

The best way to get neon transformers is by calling neon shops and asking
for their out-of-warrenty transformers; they can't sell these with their
commercial signs and you should be able to buy one for really cheap (I got
a 12 kV 60 mA for $20).

I would definitely not recommend a pole pig transformer at this point! They
can be quite expensive, weigh a ton, and they really are a big step above
neon transformers for a beginner--wait until you get more experience with
TCs before tackling one of these.

I noticed your email address is an internet provider in Florida--is that
where you live? Maybe if there is anyone on the list from Florida they
might be able to direct you to a good source of neon transformers. But
whatever you do, don't pay $180!

As far as the solid-state circuits go that I mentioned, try doing an
"inter-library" loan through your local library for the magazines. If that
fails and you are still interested in a solid-state TC, let me know and
I'll try to scrounge the articles for you and send them to you.

Jeff Detweiler