[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Westinghouse Transformers (newbee)

At 10:25 PM 2/16/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: voltmaster-at-juno-dot-com Sun Feb 16 21:47:09 1997
>Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 18:06:53 EST
>From: Nick h McQuiston <voltmaster-at-juno-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Westinghouse Transformers (newbee)
>
>Hi all
>
>I am new to this list so forgive me if this topic has already been talked
>about.
>
>About two weeks ago I was digging around in a junk yard and found 8
>westinghouse
>step down transformers. They are encased in hard rubber and measure 10in.
>by 10in. by 12in. Luckily one had a plate on it saying < Type PTM Ratio
>1:120  Primary 14400V F.W. imp. test 95>. I took one and sparked a 30VDC
>power supply off the secondary an the primary threw a spark about an inch
>and a half to two inches.
>
>I just wondered if any one knew how to wire one up in reverse to run a
>TC.
>
>-Nicholas McQuiston
>voltmaster-at-juno-dot-com

Nicholas,

You have just lucked onto a find that many coilers lust after.  We get these
puppies also, down at our local scrap yard.  They are potential
transformers.  They work perfectly backwards!  We all use pole pigs
backwards so why not potential transformers!!!  Most of the ones we get are
14.4KV and 20KV, 2KVA jobs although recently we have picked up some 34.5KV,
5KVA pot. Xfrmers.  Most cost us about $10 to $20 each.  Happy coilin' with
them.  They are much better transformers and wound to standards much higher
than any pig could hope to asspire to.  The GE 20KV 2KVA units sell new for
over 1000 big ones.

I have 3 pole pigs, but now run everything off of Potential transformers!

Richard Hull, TCBOR