[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More on Top Toroid

At 06:26 PM 2/2/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: jd231825-at-engr.colostate.edu Sun Feb  2 17:41:41 1997
>Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 10:00:15 -0700
>From: Jeff Detweiler <jd231825-at-engr.colostate.edu>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: More on Top Toroid
>
>Greetings everyone,
>
>I really appreciate all the informative replies to my original posting.
>Just a small clarification though--must the center of the toroid be a
>conducting material also? I would think so for best electrostatic
>shielding, but this would make "toroid" a bit of a misnomer since the
>center is not really open in the sense of it being air or at least some
>nonconducting material. In other words:
>

>/\_______/\ (toroid side view: plate in middle is conducting also?)
>\/  | |  \/
>    | |
>    | | (coil secondary)
>
>Thanks,
>Jeff
>

>Jeff,

I like to make all my toroids with central conducting plates even though it
doesn't contribute to the capacity much at all.  It does act as a broad flat
contact, and all of my resonator coils are topped with circular, closed
copper rings expoxied to the top lip.  This way I just gravity drop the
toroid on the system for connection with no bolts.

Richard Hull, TCBOR