[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Get it over with

At 11:15 PM 1/31/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: Kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com Fri Jan 31 22:57:11 1997
>Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 03:57:43 -0600
>From: Kerry Ludwig <Kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Get it over with
>
>I have several questions that I have been meaning to ask.  I thought that I
>might as well get them all over with at once, so here goes.
>

>1.  I have noticed references to some coil forms creating more losses due to
>the proximity to the wire.  How much of a loss could one expect using 1/2"
>wall pvc vs. thin-wall pvc?  Thin-wall pvc vs. air-wound on skeleton frame?
>ETC......

Not much loss will occur in thick PVC, but it will still be there.  We
noticed only a few point loss in Q in our tests.  Paper and wood forms are
the worst and the losses in these are significant. (50% reduction in Q on
untreated forms.)
R. Hull

>2.  Can spark-gaps be used to protect a cap. in the same way that they are
>used to protect a transformer?  Maybe use small spheres rather than points?

This is routinely done by some coilers. Balls are best!  R. Hull

>3.  I would like to use my 12kv/63ma neon trans. and build a filtered d.c.
>supply to run my coil off of.  Can anyone tell me how to figure the inductor
>(in series with trans) and cap (in parallel with trans) values for this
>circuit?  (I hope to someday also build a larger scale coil of similar
>design, so the actual formula's would be useful.)

I assume you are talking about a DC supply, series filter choke to keep RF
and kickback out of the DC supply.  The general rule is to use the largest
value inductor you can get your hands on which will take the voltage stress.
Such items are military items only and found only surplus at hamfests. I use
a .4 henry unit rated for 20 kv on my small DC system.   R. Hull

>4.  Where can I find variacs in the 5-10kw range?  What kind of prices shoud
>I expect?

Hamfests and some sorces in Nuts and Volts magazine offer such items.  I
have picked up 230 volt 28 amp varaics at hamfests for as little as $30.00.
A more normal price for a good used item like this is $150.00-300.00.  R. Hull

>5.  Is information about Golka's experiments with his "HUGE" coil available
>anywhere?  I am interested in any specs of the coil and results that he
>attained.  I would also like to find video of his coil in action, if anybody
>knows of any.

I have a video of his system in full operation (sorry can't sell it) I
obtained it from a friend who was actually there.  We do have on one of our
videos a nice slide show of his system and a complete naration by a fellow
who was actually with Golka and shot the photos live.  He worked there for a
short while and assisted Golka.  I have been totally "under-impressed" by
the system and its relative efficiency.  I have met and talked with Golka
privately and found him to be enthusiastic about what he did, but his and my
goals and aspirations are worlds apart.  R. Hull