[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Guide 60HzMatch

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

> Subscriber: rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net Fri Jan 31 22:55:25 1997
> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 08:23:44 -0500 (EST)
> From: richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Guide 60HzMatch

> >Tell me about it! That's what's driving me nuts! The few statements I
see
> >about transformer/capacitor 60Hz coupling make it sound like you just
write
> >down some numbers from the nameplate of your transformer, shove it into
> >some nice clean equation like R=E/I and come up with the right value for
> >the inductive reactance. But something in my gut tells me it ain't gonna
be
> >that easy in Real Life, especially with a Neon transformer!
> >big snip
> >Fr. Tom McGahee
> >

> Tom,
>
> Your gut is right which is always a good bet once the human integrating
> engine finally sees the  "big picture".
>
> The shunts, leakage inductance, core iron, etc all get together to form a
> real complicated form of constantly moving and changing inductance and
> impedance as the load varies or increases up to max load where things
> stabilize a bit.  The Tesla coil  and the capacitive load it ultimately
> exhibits to the neon secondary is extremely complex when viewed over time
> and only a first order pass can be made at understanding it.  A best
guess
> "average" based on experience will assist more than grinding away in
search
> of precise values over time intervals.
>
> In general, the capcitive value should be no more than .005uf/15KV of
neon
> transformer per 30ma, with the realization that a bit more capacitance is
> actually usable if you wish to push the envelope.
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR

Richard,
Once again, thanks for the input. I also got a post from another coiler who
included a formula that pretty much gives the answer you gave of .005/15KV.
So that issue seems to be taken care of. Slowly but surely the pieces are
falling into place. I looked in my "sent" bin and discovered that I have
sent out about 400 e-mails this past week dealing with the Guide in one way
or another, or answering questions people sent privately. I am happy to do
it. I am learning so much, and I know it will help others, too.

Fr. Tom McGahee