[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pri/Sec coiling

>> One of my first s. g. TCs used a 12 kV, 30ma trans.  It produced an
absolute
 > max spark of 40",  but comfortably gave 37 - 38" sparks.  To obtain these
>> lengths, a bump had to be placed on the 17" toroid so that only one
streamer
 > was produced.  Multiple steamers reduced the length to about 31" I
suppose.
 >>  I posted the specs for this coil about a week ago I believe.

 >Oh yeah? I will look for it then.. Got any pics?

No pics, but I have it on videotape.  The coil also was shown on one of
Richard Hull's TCBOR video tapes.

> > I eventually used this transformer in a small magnifier which gave 36"
 max
 > sparks.   When this transformer blew out, I replaced it with another trans
of
> > the same specs which was newer and physically smaller, but it now gave
only
 > 30" sparks.  It seems to me that all neon transformers (of the same
rating)
 >> are not the same ( I don't think the newer one was defective).  I WOULD
BE
 > INTERESTED to hear if anyone has seen this range of variation between neon
 >> sign transformers?  I have never heard this mentioned by anyone other
than
 > myself.

> Strange, I have heard that the actually make of the neons, depending on
 the company, can either last longer, or produce better efects. Did you
> unpot these coils? Or are you estimating the size on the metal casing?

Thanks for the neon variation info from all the people who have responded.

>  > Happy coiling,
 >
> > John Freau

 >Coiling? Soon. As soon as I can find a damn 'Motor Rebuilding Shop'! I
>need some copper!

> Jeremy Bair

Some industrial electrical companies sell this wire also.

John Freau