[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Esthetically Pleasing BIG primaries

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: teslacoil-at-mindspring-dot-com Thu Feb 13 22:05:55 1997
> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:48:04 -0500
> From: "Kevin M. Conkey" <teslacoil-at-mindspring-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Esthetically Pleasing BIG primaries
>
>  I am about to wind a primary using 1" copper tubing.
> Any input on winding primaries with this monster size would be helpful
> to me!
>
>   [Part 2, Text/HTML  8 lines]
>   [Unable to print this part]

Hi Kevin:

	I just finished winding my new primary for my latest coiling project,
using 5/8" diameter thin wall copper refrigeration tube.  It came in 50
foot rolls and things worked out very well for me.  Now, that 1" stuff
will be a bit more of a challenge, but possibly you can pick up an idea
or two from what I did.  This time I didn't do anything at all that was
special or fancy, other than having a reasonable structure to
accept/support the wound tubing.  I've attached a photo(that's my
daughter, not me) that might help make the explanation seem pretty
obvious, but I'll babble on for a while yet anyway!  I simply located
the first turn, using a 1/2" thick acrylic supports already milled and
drilled to take the tubing and a tie wrap at each point.  I simply
snapped each point into place and anchored it with a tie wrap and
checked turn to turn spacing with a 1/2" thick spacer.  It actually
turned out to be real easy.  I had to stop and form and reform several
outer turns but the initial 7 or 8 turns went very quickly.  I believe
it took about 3 1/2 hours to wind the entire thing, which is 12 1/2
turns, 21" I.D. and about 50" O.D.  I was concerned when I did not yet
have the tubing in hand, but once I got started it did go very well.  If
you use the popular snap lock type of arc to put the tube in, without a
tie wrap to really keep it in place, I would expect some difficulty.
The reason for this is that as you unwind that 50 foot coil to match
it's radius to the desired size, I figured I would pop the 5/8" tube out
of the acrylic support piece.  That 1" stuff might really want to pull
out as you form each succeeding section.  Just a thought, hope it
helps.  I think I yelled at the durn thing only twice, so things must
have gone well!
	Now, the real reason I responded to your question is to ask you a
question--will you share the general plans for this new coil of yours
with all of us??  Sounds like a real, ah, healthy coil! :^) Have fun
with the winding and let us know how it goes.

Chuck Curran

[NOTE: The image will be sent out later tonight. -- Chip]