[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: flat caps

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com Sat Feb 15 15:44:40 1997
> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 03:00:16 -0500 (EST)
> From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: flat caps

<....
....>

> I recently made one that is .00475 mfd with two layers of .062 poly (for each
> layer) and those plates are 47" long.  This cap just barely fits into a 6"
> pipe section.
>
> Ed Sonderman

I have been taking apart small Capatictors just to get an idea of how
they are arranged, I was amazed to open some of the rolled ones, they
are awsome! After realizing it, all my caps I have ever used were rolled
(About a year ago, I opened one for the first time to discover metal
plates and tons of oil, now I can't find that one again!). I think
rolled caps would be better for me. Let me ask you though, some small
ones I opened (200V-at-220uf) had a sort of paper and metal materials
soaked in oil, was this 'paper' like material a plastic? It was so
soaked, I can't tell what it was, and how come to two windings of metal
are different materials, one is shinnier than another.

And did you use an oil?

<...you would need plates of
1010 square inches / 14" (std. width of roof flashing) = plates
72.14"...>

Roofing Flashing? Wasn't that material thick? What is wrong with using a
whole roll of Aluminum Foil?

Jeremy Bair