[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Toroid

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu Sat Feb  1 21:43:29 1997
> Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 09:00:06 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Top Toroid
>
> Re: Sunchronous gaps
>         In all the posting here I haven't seen any mention of
> adjustment of the mechanical PHASE of the gaps.
> Ed Phillips

Ed,

I have a 3600 RPM synchronous rotary gap (just 2 studs on the rotor)
that I use with my twin coil, that I have equipped with moveable
stationary contacts/studs that are attached to a screw drive gearmotor.
This arrangement allows me to adjust the phase of the gap firing to any
point on the 60 hz sinewave from my control panel while the coil is
operating. This arrangement saves a great deal of time with the original
tuning by not having to shut down the coil to make incremental
adjustments. Most synchronous gaps I have seen allow for some kind of
phase adjustment by turning the motor housing in it's mount.

Ed Wingate

one of the other Eds