[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: cap tester

Tesla List wrote:

> >  I need a capacitor tester to check the value of my 2 Tesla Coil rolled oil
> >  filled capacitors.  The value should be about .008 uf.
> >
> >  The only thing I own is a digital volt meter and a soldering gun.  My meter
> >  does not check capacitors.  I don't want to spend $200.00 for a new meter
> >  that checks caps.
> >
> >  Does anyone know anyplace that sells low cost capacitor meters?  Does anyone
> >
> >  know where to buy a KIT for a capacitor tester?  Does anyone have a circuit
> >  for a capacitor tester that can be built from parts?
>
> A recent issue of Radio Electronics (I think) had a circuit that you could
> build to turn your DVM into a capacitance tester.  If you need more info,
> I could check the particular issue for you at the library.
>
> Steve Roys.

Do you have a DMM?  Of any way of measuring AC Amperes? If you do, you
can measure capacitance. This is from an old text book and I have tested
it against known values with sucess. It follows:

Find the Capacitive reactance: Xc=V/I  V=volts  I=Amps  Xc=Ohms

Now C=159,000/(F x Xc)  F=frequency in hertz (of the mains 50 or 60 hZ)
C=capacitance in uFd

The following test setup is suggested: Place the Cap in parallel with
the 110/120 V AC mains. Measure the AC volts across the Cap.  Now
connect your ampmeter
in series with one of the lines to the Cap.  Apply power and read the
measured current.

David Trimmell