[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: repair

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com Sat Feb  1 22:14:18 1997
> Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 17:52:30 -0500 (EST)
> From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: repair
>
> <<
> >   I just unpotted the first of four neon transformers that I got from a
> > sign shop in town. The guy there told me they were 15Kv -at-30ma. I'm sure
> > they are 15Kv but not so sure about the current rating as the plates
> >have all been removed. I kind of went back to the dark ages in the way I
> > removed the potting. I boiled them in oil! I used a burner out of a old
> > space heater to heat the metal pan pan filled with diesel! I know this
> >sounds dangerous folks but it was a good 20' away from anything that
>  >would burn including yours truly. It really speeds up the process as it
> >uses solvent and heat to disolve the tar. Just don't try this at home
> >folks! The core looks, and disassembles the same way discribed in the
> >archives. One secondary reads megohm resistance and is probably fried.
> > The other reads a little over 8kohms. Is this the usual resistance of a
> > 15kv secondary? Or is this side shorted???
>
>                                    Frankensteins Helper
>                                          Max
>   >>
> Max
>
> I like your boiling idea.  By the way, I'm curious, how long did you boil the
> tar, and how much of the tar was removed by boiling?  Thanks,
>
> Boilin' and Coilin', perfect together!
>
> John Freau

   About three hours. But be careful not to let the oil and tar mixture
get to hot! Keep the temprature around the temprature of boiling water.
You can use a candy thermometer to periodically check the temprature.
Don't leave it unattended! Keep your burner at least 8" from the bottom
of the pan. I used for cement blocks to rest the pan on with the burner
underneath. And keep something handy around like a dry type fire
extinguisher in case things get out of hand! If all goes well you should
remove practically all of the tar in a relatively short period of time.
Remember to have the gas shut off and at least 8' away from the pan so
if it catches it won't get involved with the pan. Shut off the gas FIRST
if a fire starts THEN put out the fire! One last word of caution don't
remove or pickup the transfomers until AFTER you shut off the heat. Any
oil you spill while the flame is still on will likely fall on the lit
burner and POOF!