[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Toroid

<< Ed,

 Running _any_ cap at higher break rates in Tela Coil service will
 certainly stress it more. If it has any internal weakness (especially a
 poor/higher resistance interconnection), it may fail from the additional
 heating and vibrational stress. However, ANY cap, if pushed far enough,
 will fail. High break rates (>600 BPS), coupled with high TC primary
 currents (i.e., relatively low primary L) are a recipe for cap failure.

 Safe coilin' to you, Ed!

 -- Bert --

Bert,

What do you call low?  When the C.P. cap failed, I would guess the primary
was tapped at about 80 microheneries.  I was running at about 7 kva at 14,400
volts.  As I said, the break rate may have been as high as 1,000 bps -
probably just beating the hell out of the cap.

Ed Sonderman