[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

transformers

>My point was and is that the current available to charge the cap is
>limited to the point on the sine wave where we are at the given instant.
	yup.

>With a 60ma neon at the .707 point on the sign wave,
	Unless neons are rated differently from other transmformers, the
	current at .707 IS 60 mA. (ASSuming a sign wave...).  The rating is
	(generally) at RMS.  If so a 60 mA neon will peak at 60*1.41etc
	(yeah.  Neons are current limited.  Are they current limited THAT
	much?)

1) 'Al windings... higher resistance...'
	Uhmmmm.  Maybe.  In MOST applications of Al windings, or other use
	of Al as a conductor, the Al is larger than the 'equivalent copper',
	so the resistance stays the same...

2) Death of transformers....
	Transformers, as much electrical gear, will 'happily' take overload
	For Brief Periods Of Time.  a 1 KW transformer may cheerfully, and
	forever, pass thru two or three KW SO LONG AS IT IS ONLY FOR A FEW
	MINUTES.  Its a heating thing.  The usual faulure point is to melt
	the insulation to the point where it does not function, or oozes away
	(and does not function....).  When looking at proper engineering
	data on transformers (motors, etc) the test data will include a
	'how long is the load applied for' number.  Neon transformers,
	in their designed mode are (i believe) rated for continuous duty.

	regards
	dwp