[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Grounding ?'s

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: rpittman-at-juno-dot-com Mon Feb  3 21:33:18 1997
> Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 11:29:06 PST
> From: rpittman-at-juno-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Grounding ?'s
>
> Hi all,
>         I am just about done with my first attempt at a coil and I had a
> couple questions.
>         I am wanting to have it done for the science fair that I am
> having for my students this thursday.  My first problem is that the fair
> is in the gym.  I do not think I have the time ro run a good RF ground to
> a stake outside.  Thus my question, I know it has ben said over and over
> not to use the ground on the outlet but is there any other way to run
> one in a gym.  My transformer is really small -6kv -at- 30ma- and the
> circuit in the school gym is pretty substantial any ideas?

For your small coil, this should work OK. You might generate some noise
in the PA system...

>         The other question is I am just about to finish the spark gap ala
> R. Quick.  and was wondering if an industrial wet/dry vac motor would
> work better or worse than a muffin fan motor?  I have both and thought
> that maybe the vacuum motor would increase the quench rate?

It won't hurt. However, most of the quenching action comes from the
large cooling area presented by the copper pipes. You'd actually need to
draw high velocity air through the gaps between the pipes to get better
quenching action. With the small power level you're running at, the gaps
should quench just fine even with the muffin fan.

>         One last thing, I know there have been meny postings on how to
> build chokes and I was wondering if the I really should have them for
> such a small transformer and if so the building directions one more
> time.

This is a really a controversial area. As long as you're running with
the gap across the transformer and not running with to wide a gap
spacing, you'll probably be OK. However, you'd probably have less chance
of damaging the neon if you added chokes and series damping resistors.

>         I really really apreciate any help offered, and thanks for all
> the help already given in the list.
>
> Adios
> Ronnie Pittman

Good luck on this, Ronnie - who knows - you may inspire a few kids into
going into a scientific career!

Safe science fairin' to you!

-- Bert --