[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Calculating Capacitor currents

At 10:25 PM 2/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: Rodney.Davies-at-anu.edu.au Mon Feb  3 21:31:21 1997
>Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 01:40:11 +1100 (EST)
>From: Rodney Graham Davies <Rodney.Davies-at-anu.edu.au>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Calculating Capacitor currents
>
>Hi again,
>
>Say, is there anyway of calculting the current that the capacitors
>actually feed to the primary coil?
>
>I have an idea, but not certain of its accurracy...
>
>Say if we know the capacitive reactance of a cap bank, and we know the
>rms voltage they're working at, can we simply use I=V/R to work out the
>current?
>
>I'm interested to know exactly how much power (in terms of VA/Watts) is
>actually going into the primary coil.
>
>Then again, I don't think there would be a constant 'exact' figure, but
>perhaps an average would do.
>
>Thoughts, ideas etc...
>
>thanks,
>
>Catchya!
>Rod

Rod,

There is absolutely no way to know the  peak current in the tank, ABSOLUTELY!

A close first order pass or stab at it would be to apply the Surge impedance
equation.

Z surge = square root of L/C

This will not take into account any form of circuit loses at all, such as
resisitve and gap losses.  The actual current will always, 100% of the time,
be much less.

The only way to determine the actual peak current value is to measure it
with a current transfomrer while the thing is throwin' arcs!

Richard Hull, TCBOR