[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitors..

<< HI, I'm trying to  building a small T-coil using a 15 Kv 30ma Neon sign
 transformer, and don't want to make my own capacitors...can anyone pint me
out
 to where I can find some high voltage capacitors or how to make some
realiable
 ones....

 Thanks

 Jason Pecor

Jason,

I have been through this dilemma several times.  There is really only two
solutions.  One is to purchase a commercial cap from someone like Condenser
products that is made for Tesla coil operation.  Cost will be $200.00 to
$250.00 depending on value and rating.  The other is to make one yourself.
 You can either make a stacked flat plate cap or a rolled cap.  Polyethylene
is the dielectric of choice and plates are usually made of aluminum roof
flashing.  There are directions posted at the ftp site:
http://ftp.funet.fi/ftp/pub/sci/electrical/tesla.

If you decide to build one of these, please use .090 as a minimum dielectric
thickness for 15kv AC and .125 wouldn't be too much.  I believe .060
thickness is only good for a 9kv rating.  Three or four layers of .030 poly
would be good.  If you decide to make one of these, please let me know and I
would be glad to help.  I have made three and destroyed two.

Ed Sonderman