[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Calculating Sec. Voltage

At 10:25 PM 2/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: Rodney.Davies-at-anu.edu.au Mon Feb  3 21:31:59 1997
>Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 01:34:29 +1100 (EST)
>From: Rodney Graham Davies <Rodney.Davies-at-anu.edu.au>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Calculating Sec. Voltage
>
>Hi all,
>
>Question: Wouldn't it be nice to know how many volts a TC will produce
>before it's actually built?
>
>I'm searching for some formulas that may give results close to actual
>values, when calculating the secondary's output voltage.
>
>For now, I've been using a silly little formula I retrieved from my old
>high school physics book which is an ideal (I mean for an "ideal"
>xformer) equation -
>
>Vs   Vp   Ip
>-- = -- = --
>Ns   Np   Is
>
>(I think the 3rd part is the right way up)...
>Anyway,
>Vs - Voltage of the secondary
>Vp - Voltage of the primary
>Ns - Number of turns of the secondary
>Np - Number of turns of the primary
>
>Rearranging -
>
>Vs = Ns x Vp
>     -------
>       Np
>
>To calculate the secondary voltage.
>
>Now, I've applied this formula to a known coil (Yup, the Super Model 9
>from Bill Wysock, yet again...fine coil system too I might add!)..
>
>Ok, specs -
>Ns = 800
>Np = 4.5
>Vp = 20,000v
>
>So, Vs = 800 x 20000
>	 -----------
> 	     4.5
>        = 3,555,555.556 volts
>
>The coil is actually noted in the gallery (Questacon Nat. Sci. & Tech.
>Centre, Canberra) as being a 3.5 MV coil...
> Although, most of the time it's only running on about 103v on the
>primary of the xformer as apposed to 250v.
>
>Well, this formula is a little too "easy" so to speak, so does anyone
>have any formulas, preferably of the "hairy" type which one could use for
>this problem?
>
>Thanks All,
>
>Have fun..
>Rod

Rod,

Not intending to be flipant, but ....3,555,555.556 volts!!!!!!

Whew! Golly!

In probably the most highly developed mathematical model imaginable, I think
there might be a bit of bauble about the first digit (3) in your answer,
much less the .556volt trailing figure!!!

 There are no such useful equations extant that wouldn't pose a great threat
of self-deception to any person so bold as to use them or foolish enough to
accept their resultant output values.

This is a long sought form of teslarian nirvana.  Just plug in the numbers,
turn the ole crank and presto, infinite precision and confidence in output
voltage prior to the first turn of wire on a resonator.

If someone thinks they have it,  walk away,  They haven't built six of these
systems yet.  Most haven't built one!!!!

  Armchair theorists are as common as the seasickness in this business.
Followed quickly by wanna-be mathematicians.

Builders seeking true engineering guidelines are few and often reticent on
precise value predictions in direct proportion to the number of systems they
have assembled.

Richard Hull, TCBOR