[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Thanks to John

At 10:25 PM 2/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com Mon Feb 10 22:04:48 1997
>Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 14:41:26 -0500 (EST)
>From: SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com
>To: Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Thanks to John
>
>Thanks John Freau for the schematics, they are clear and precise and I will
>have it built as soon as I can presuade Richard Hull to dig down DEEP in his
>ham fest booty for those resistors etc I need, heh heh :) Seriously though,
>you mention a 304TL and that a more powerful tube can be used. What is an
>example of a more powerful tube? What is the most powerful tube that I could
>use that is obtainable from a tube supplier? Can I parallel morthan one for a
>longer spark? Im going to go to some expense on this one and I anticipate the
>end result to be a sight to behold. I will definately send pictures of the
>finished product along with some of the other coils I have.By the way,
>doorknobs dont have a mica dielectric do they? Probably not as I have a few
>of them and could use them on the tube coil, are they suitable?  Stephen
>Sanders
>
>Stephen,

Those HV resistors I bought at the fest are in use right now in a DC HV coil
supply.  I contacted Victoreen, a prime maker of such items.  In fact the #1
maker of precision 100 megohm plus and HV controlled temp coeff. resistor in
the world!  They have no distributors on the entire planet.  All must be
purchased directly from them at their factory with a $250.00 minimum "baby"
order!  High voltage is special in resistor usage.  The voltage coefficient
specification is the key item on these babies and are the reason you can't
just series an infinite number of carbons for high voltage work.

I am after their famous line of electrometer resistors (RX1A prime series-
glass vacuum enclosed jobs!)  This is a low voltage line of high ohm items.
Their lowest ohmic value in this special line is 100 megohms!  They stock
off shelf precision +/-.5% 100 gigohm jobs.  They will custom make up to 100
teraohms in this line at that precision.  (thats +/- 500 gigohms error and
it is IN spec at 0.5% precision!!)

They also make power HV resistors with specs guaranteed out to 100,000 volts.

Richard Hull, TCBOR