[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Hot Tubes (Was "Tubin

[ ... ]
T>am able to get a wonderfully bizarre brush discharge of five inches.
T>These babies are a sensitve lot though. Ok, so now for the qustions: How
T>hot is to hot for the 803's? I can run them for about two minutes before
T>they get to hot to touch, this is with a 2400 Volt -at-~500mA (actually not
[ ...]

T>David Trimmell

        How hot do like it, baby?  Most transmitting-class vacuum
        tubes can =at minimum= run all day with their plates dull red.

        Some are designed to run with bright-orange-hot plates.
        The general rule seems to be: if the plates are metal, then
        stick with red-hot as a maximum.  If the plates are graphite,
        then bright-orange is okay.   They can (and should) be air-
        cooled (like with a fan) for max. life.   The higher power
        tubes fit (and require) special ventilated sockets.

        Hey -- these aren't transistors, you know.   They date from
        an era when men were really men, and you could literally
        warm your lunch on your electronic equipment.

                                In a fever,

                                Robert Michaels