[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: cap bank

At 10:25 PM 2/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net Mon Feb 10 22:02:44 1997
>Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 09:06:11 -0800
>From: Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: cap bank
>
>Somewhere I saw a Tesla Coil circuit that used many capacitors and
>diodes in a voltage multiplyer circuit to power a Tesla Coil.  I don't
>remember much about it because I was not very interested at that time.
>Now that I have 30 capacitors 7400 mfd 200 VDC I would like to build a
>TC using these capacitors.  A voltage multiplyer using 30 caps would
>produce 6000 volts.  Does anyone know anything about this type of TC?
>Where can I get more information?  Where can I get a circuit?  Who does
>it compair to other TC's?
>
>Gary Weaver

Gary,

Such a circuit would provide a DC powered TC and is either a marx generator
or even a simple voltage multiplier circuit.  The marx would not power a TC
very well due to the reduced pulse rate caused by the marx refill time.  The
voltage multiplier circuit would have to be very robust to work well and
would suffer the same fate as the marx as to the recharge time.  The current
required of the supply is pretty heafty to recharge the Tesla coil's
resonant capacitor.

Richard Hull, TCBOR