[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Esthetically Pleasing Primaries

>Subscriber: maleske-at-worldchat-dot-com Mon Feb 10 22:10:57 1997
>Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:33:41 -0500
>From: Tim Maleske <maleske-at-worldchat-dot-com>
>To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>, Usa-Tesla List <usa-tesla-at-usa-dot-net>
>Subject: Esthetically Pleasing Primaries
>
>    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>    [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>    [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>
>How do you guys keep your primaries looking so nice. All the pictures I
>have seen of primary's from copper tubing they are nice and flat and evenly
>spaced out. I tried running mine through hose for insulation, but this did
>not work well. (Boy is it tough to pull 40 feet of 1\4" copper through a
>5\16 I.D. tube !!!) What about the spiral type primaries? They all look so
>esthetically pleasing.

Tim,
        This one hurts for me to think about but now that I have been
there done that, I know exactly how I would do it again. When I got
my copper tubing, it came it the box sprialed down to the center of
the box and then back out again. I wanted the pipe to just be one spiral
not 2. I found a cylindrical item that was the same size (or close) to
the diameter of my primary coil form (mentioned later). I found a large
coffee can would work. The first turn of the pipe around the bottom of
the coffee can was the toughest. From then on I wound all of the copper
pipe outward in a flat pancake (Archemedes) and wrapped the tubing on
itself. I did have someone helping me to keep the pipe flat on the floor
through each turn. This made a tight coil with no kinks. When I got to
the end, I just let the end loose, there was some unwinding but not much
and pulled the coffee can out. The pipe was ready. I made 8 fin-type
primary forms (There was a hole spacing trick to this, glad the group
was here!) and I made my holes so that the pipe would 'snap in'. I do
not have ant straps holding my primary to the forms. When it came time
to install the pipe, I started from the inside out (the pipe that was
closest to the coffee can) and started snapping it in. The thing was
that it is easier to 'open up' the pipe winds that it is to make them
tighter. It was a brease from there.!

Bob Schumann
http://www.america-dot-com/~tesla