[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Dwell

> There has been lots of discussion about dwell time and the need to
>reduce it so that quench times can be reduced.  So.......

It is possible to have a long dwell time but a fast quench time.  It is also
possible to
have a short dwell time, but a long quench time.

>How do you measure dwell time...or do you just calculate it?

Skip,  I calculate it, of course true "dwell" will usually be greater than
calculated dwell time since the spark tends to fire "ahead" to the
approaching electrode, and may also "trail".  This depends on how you decide
to define "dwell" also.

 >This question was asked before...How do you measure quench time?

I use a solid state scope with a pickup antenna with low power TCs.  When the
notches and beating goes away in the waveform, and you see a nice smoothly
damped waveform, then you know you've quenched.  This is risky and can blow
out the scope.  It would be better to use a tube scope, however some of the
old "boat anchor" tube scopes aren't able to show a very  steady waveform
during TC operation.  You can put a current transformer on the pri tank and
look at the primary waveform also.

Quenching--definitely a subject we should dwell on!     :)

John Freau