[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tubing, how bizarre they are!

snip
<< With two 803's and a microwave oven transformer I
 am able to get a wonderfully bizarre brush discharge of five inches.
>These babies are a sensitve lot though. Ok, so now for the qustions: How
 hot is to hot for the 803's? I can run them for about two minutes before
> they get to hot to touch, this is with a 2400 Volt -at-~500mA (actually not
 sure of the current rating of the transformer, the microwave was rated
>at 1.2 Kw). Next qustion: I have  two 4cx250b's, but could trade them
 for a pair of 813's, I like seeing whats going on inside, but the
>4cx250b's have a 250 watt PD and the 813'S only a 125, should I stick
 with the 4cx250b's? Thanks for any sugestions,

>David Trimmell >>

David,

Glad you got good results.  As long as the plates are not red, or are
slightly red, it should be ok.  I assume you're using resistors to feed the
screen and suppressor grids.  These tubes are supposed to run much too hot to
touch.  I'll let someone else tackle the "tube choice" question.

Happy coiling,
John Freau