[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary coil

.. Man, until I write mine there is simply no real good books out there.
> I have a rather extensive library on the subject and I can find a
> section in one book, a chapter in another, but not one single refer-
> ence that has any real dirt on primary coil designs and characteristics.
> The standard line is "wind a few turns of heavy conductor".
>
> So let's discuss awhile and see if I can put this in fuller perspective.
> The primary coil design and construction is critical .....

This is a really wonderful post, Thanks to the author and thanks for
reposting. As a novice I feel that there are some areas that may be
obvious to the experienced coiler, yet to me are a little grey, if
anyone (including RQ) would care to clarify I would be most
appreciative;

Most of my confusion is centered around the physical charactersitics of
the primary -
is there an  optimal ratio of the diameter of the first (inner) turn of
the primary to the diameter of the secondary? (for pancake and inverted
conical primaries)
Is the 'angle of attack' of the connecting leads from the primary tank
circuit to the primary coil a factor?
If youve made a fifteen turn primary and you've taped it at turn 12.25,
what part if any do the remaining 2.75 turns play in the system? Is it
advantageos to trim them if youve decided to make it a permanant setup?

And this thought just sort of hit me from the blue.... has anyone ever
posted any schematics of the types of EMF produced by each basic primary
goemetry? is there somewhere I could look it up? My AARL  handbook only
shows cylindrical coil fields.

Thanks to all