[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary/secondary spacing

<<
 Does anyone have a rule of thumb for the spacing between the inner-most
 turn of the primary and the secondary?  I'd like to make my new coil
 fairly compact, but without it arcing over.  I have heard that the
 primary turn-to-turn spacing should be about the same as the diameter of
 the primary tubing (say 1/4" to 1/2"), but I have not seen anything on
 the primary/seconary spacing.

 	Steve Falco
 	sfalco-at-worldnet.att-dot-net

Steve,
On my large 6" coil, I have 2.0" clearance between the primary and the
secondary.  I used 3/8" copper tubing with 3/8" spacing between turns for the
primary.  This coil operates with a 14,400 volt pole pig and I have no
problems with it.  In fact coupling was too tight and I had to raise the
secondary up 3.0".

My smaller 3.0" dia coil has 1.0" clearance between the primary and the
secondary.  The primary is wound with #10 solid copper wire with .45" spacing
between turns.  At present I am only using one 12kv 30ma transformer but
would expect no problems with three times that much power.

Ed Sonderman