[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Guide 60HzMatch

At 11:05 PM 1/30/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Guide 60HzMatch
>> > Subject: Guide 60HzMatch
>> Subject: Re: Guide 60HzMatch
>> > Subject: Guide 60HzMatch
>
>Subscriber: tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com Thu Jan 30 23:04:34 1997
>Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 22:16:37 -0500
>From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Guide 60HzMatch
>
>    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>    [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>    [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>

>----------
>> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>> To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: Re: Guide 60HzMatch
>> Date: Wednesday, January 29, 1997 11:10 PM
>>
>> > Subject: Guide 60HzMatch
>>
>> Subscriber: harris-at-parkave-dot-net Wed Jan 29 21:03:16 1997
>> Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:11:59 -0500
>> From: Ed Harris <harris-at-parkave-dot-net>
>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: Re: Guide 60HzMatch
>>
>>     [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>>     [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>>     [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>>

>>snip

>Another issue is, IF it IS the leakage inductance, how does one quantify
>this. As I said in my notes on the Guide, the only statement I could find
>said that the transformer impedance was Etrans/Itrans. True enough, but
>what Etrans? Emax? Etrans as measured AT Itrans? Wouldn't that be
>significantly BELOW 12KV for a 12KV transformer, since the darn thing is
>now running in current limit mode?
>
>I need Input, DATA, More DATA!!!
>

>> > Note: Do not confuse this 50/60Hz resonant frequency with the resonant
>> > frequency of the RF portion of the Tank circuit, or the self-resonant
>> > frequency of the secondary.
>> >

>> > Additional Remarks:
>> >
>> > If RF chokes are introduced into the transformer circuit, then their
>> > inductive reactance at 50/60Hz may have some effect on the total
>> inductive
>> > reactance, though it is generally small compared to the inductive
>> reactance
>> > of the transformer's secondary.
>> >
>> > The RF impedance of chokes does not enter into this
>> > discussion of matching, because in matching we are only concerned with
>> the
>> > charge cycle, not the discharge cycle.
>>
>> Well, OK but I think it's worth mentioning that power/neon transformers
>all
>> have
>> rather complicated behavior as a function of the frequency applied.
>
>Tell me about it! That's what's driving me nuts! The few statements I see
>about transformer/capacitor 60Hz coupling make it sound like you just write
>down some numbers from the nameplate of your transformer, shove it into
>some nice clean equation like R=E/I and come up with the right value for
> [...]

Tom,

Your gut is right which is always a good bet once the human integrating
engine finally sees the  "big picture".

The shunts, leakage inductance, core iron, etc all get together to form a
real complicated form of constantly moving and changing inductance and
impedance as the load varies or increases up to max load where things
stabilize a bit.  The Tesla coil  and the capacitive load it ultimately
exhibits to the neon secondary is extremely complex when viewed over time
and only a first order pass can be made at understanding it.  A best guess
"average" based on experience will assist more than grinding away in search
of precise values over time intervals.

In general, the capcitive value should be no more than .005uf/15KV of neon
transformer per 30ma, with the realization that a bit more capacitance is
actually usable if you wish to push the envelope.

Richard Hull, TCBOR