[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First spark !

At 10:25 PM 1/12/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: Hans.Grimstad-at-maxware.no Sun Jan 12 22:09:25 1997
>Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 15:40:52 +0100
>From: Hans.Grimstad-at-maxware.no
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: First spark !

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Hello everyone !
>
>I just finished my first coil. The secondary is 1400 turns of 1/2 mm diameter
>enameled copper wire on a 7 1/2 cm diameter PVC form. The primary is 20
turns of
>flat strap rising in a 45 degree angle. The static spark gap is made from a
couple
>of heavy bolts. The capacitor is made of six wine-bottles. These are
approx.  700
>pF each.  The coil is powered by two 3000Kv/50mA neons where the secondaries
>are connected in series (Thanks to Kristian for the neons!). The neons are
>connected across the spark gap. This is in series with the salt-water caps
and the
>primary. The top turns on the secondary emits a heavy corona, and I get
aprox. 15
>cm streamers out in free air (still some tuning to do...).
>
>This may be a small coil compared to what the people on this list are
>experimenting with, but it sure got my adrenaline pumping ! The sound from
spark
>gap, the streamers, the smell of ozone and NOX, the UV (and the mad girlfriend
>complaining about the noise...). This is sooooo *FUN* !!!
>
>Some questions to the gurus on the list:
>
>1) How long streamers can I hope to get with 300W in an optimal system ?
>
>2) How can I get a good RF-ground in an apartment building (second floor).
I don't
>want to fry any computers, TVs (or neighbours...)

I can answer this easily, Get #6 Cu wire and go out the window (Insulate
from the window frame) and down to the ground, use 8 foot Cu grounding rods,
at least 3.

Or.. Do like I do, Drill a hole in the wall, my case it was the floor.
Anyway you can go that route but the landlord will KILL KILL! Mine says just
fix it before you move out.

>3) Do I need RF chokes to protect my neons with only 300 W ?

I would but I am in the same spot right now with my coil.

>4) Is there such a thing as an optimal frequency for a Tesla Coil ? I
estimated the
>resonance frequency om my secondary to be 400kHz. This is perhaps a bit high ?
>
>5) Have anyone tried to excite a laser with the RF from a Tesla coil ? My coil
>already looks like something from a Flash Gordon movie, so why not stick a
>nitrogen laser in there ? ;))

That can be done provided you get stable output all round from the tesla
coil. I think I am about to get off topic here so I will sign off now. Check
my website.

>Hans J|rgen
>Still some tuning to do...

                                       Regards,
                                            Kevin Nardelle

   * T   E   S   L   A      C   O   I   L   S *
Kevin Nardelle   knardell-at-accesscom-dot-net
My main web page IS UP all TESLA
related with lotsa pictures and links.
http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev/tesla
http://www.accesscom-dot-net/nardell
Non related sites I have
The Louisiana Swamps Online (Under construction)
http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev