[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: stun gun/ Tesla coil?

At 05:58 AM 1/17/97 +0000, you wrote:
>> Subject: stun gun/ Tesla coil?
>
>Subscriber: unknown-at-apc-dot-net Thu Jan 16 22:49:15 1997
>Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 22:50:33 -0800
>From: Open Minded <unknown-at-apc-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: stun gun/ Tesla coil?
>
>Tesla List wrote:
>>
>> Subscriber: kittyhwk-at-earthlink-dot-net Wed Jan 15 21:11:04 1997
>> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 12:28:48 -0800 (PST)
>> From: Dave Edwards <kittyhwk-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: stun gun/ Tesla coil?
>>
>> hello,
>>         I took apart a stun gun (100,000v) and I was wondering if the coil
>> in there was a Tesla coil? How can they take a 9v battery and produce a
>> spark big enough to jump 2 inches? And I noticed they had a simple spark gap
>> arrangement also set up in there.The instructions say to only run it for
>> about three seconds or it will burn up. Is there a way to maybe pulse the
>> switch to make it run continuosly?  If anybody could help I'd sure be very
>> appreciative. Thanks a lot.
>> Dave Edwards
>

>Dave -
>
>  Any chance you can get a few photos of this? I am rather intrigued
>and would like to attempt reverse engineering of the circuit.
>
>- Brent

Dave -

I believe the stun gun is not a Tesla coil but an induction coil the same as
a Ford spark coil. The Tesla coil uses dampened sine waves and has almost
unlimited power capabilities. The induction coil works by a different
electrical principle and that is by the creation of a back EMF when an
inductive circuit is disconnected. This is a pulse and not a dampened sine
wave and has limited power capacity. Both circuits are different and both
have capacitors which are used differently. The flyback transformer and
today's auto ignition coils are also induction coils.

Jack C.

Bert -

To reverse engineer the stun gun start with the equation

        V = L di/dt

where V is 100,000. You need L the inductance and di the current and dt the
time. For example an inductance of 10 henries, a current pulse of 2 amps and
a interupt time of one ten thousandth second at 50 % efficiency would give
100,000 volts. This obviously is a gross over simplification.

I would be interested in what you find.

Jack C.