[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tubes

> Date:          Sat, 18 Jan 1997 22:36:46 -0700
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To:            Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Tubes

> Subscriber: SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com Sat Jan 18 22:28:20 1997
> Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 14:14:12 -0500 (EST)
> From: SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com
> To: Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Tubes
>
> Im looking at a tube # ECC803S and printed in the ad is TESLA beside the tube
> and it is a 15.00 tube. Is this a tube used to make a tube coil? I havent
> recieved my book yet and I know there are many different kinds of tubes for
> coils so I was doing a little general shopping around.   Stephen .

Stephen,

I am not at all familiar with the nomenclature ECC803S, but I was
able to look up a type 803 transmitting tube in the RCA databook.
Although this tube is a pentode, at 2000 volt plate rating and 125
watt plate dissipation it is a heck of a lot of tube for $15,
assuming of course that what you have found is truly an 803.  If it
is, I'd get one and try it.  Tie all three grids together and pretend
it is a triode, might work.  The filament on the 803 is 10 volts at 5
amps.  The tube has a plate cap and a giant 5 pin base (same as a
4-125A/4D21, with a straight sided diameter of 2-9/16" and an overall
length of 9-1/4".

I see Ed Phillips just posted that Tesla is the name of a tube
manufacturer, so this is a brand name.  As such it is unlikely a
coincidence meant to imply that this tube is good for Tesla coil use.

Hope this is of some use.

rwstephens