[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Very COOL AVI

At 10:25 PM 1/26/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz Sun Jan 26 21:49:59 1997
>Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 08:47:22 +1200
>From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Very COOL AVI
>
>Hi Richard, all,
>                 A timely note on the hazards presented by external
>connections to computers......
>
>> I have worked on and repaired computer based equipment for years.  The
>> absolute #1 best way to kill a CPU is a modem!!  It is the one weak link in
>> the chain.  The phone lines are much higher impedance than any power line
>> and are far less protected from moderate to high transients.
>>
>> You can use the best power strip and surge suppressors on your CPU but leave
>> the modem plugged to the phone line and you have placed a large antenna into
>> the atmosphere and virtually wired it into the heart of your computer!!!
>> Power lines kill computers on a ratio of 1 to 100 as compared to modems,
>> especially around Tesla coils!!!!
>>
>> Always unplug the phone line from your modem if you are not siting infront
>> of the glowing screen!!!
>
>Just like to add LAN cables to the list. As a precaution when running
>the coil I have at work, I unplug the following:
>
>- All equipment in the workshop from the mains
>- LAN cables from the computer/s *and* wall socket/s
>- Cables from computers to printers, both ends
>- TV aerial from TV
>- Cables from monitors to computers (also keyboards to be real safe)
>
>Malcolm

Malcolm,

 I do the same for my 6 computers here at home prior to a run at 5-7KW with
maggey #11-E.  Over the years I have blown one particular machine 8 times by
forgetting to unplug everything to the box!!!!  Yeah, its a real hassle, but
the savings in repair time is more than worth the effort.  All this started
ot happen back in 1990 when I went over 3KW in system power.  The maggies
are particularly bad in this respect!

Richard Hull, TCBOR