[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rolled Cap Supprise!

Home Rollers,

	Today I was rolling my forth rolled cap (2 layers of 0.060
poly) when I picked it up to put it in it's case, I got a shock from
the plates strong enough to feel like I'd hit my funny bone! I didn't
think of an electric shock at first so when I picked it up again, I
received a weaker shock.  I am using virgin plastic so the charge is
not from dielectric relaxation.

I'm guessing that triboelectric charging caused it even though the
relative humidity is 75%.

(10 minutes later) I checked it again with a NE2. It's not charged.

It was quite a supprise and interesting in retrospect.  I've never
taken a jolt from a charged 9nF cap before. It couldn't have had much
voltage on it or I would have dropped the cap.

	Shockingly,

	jim