[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: cable

> Date:          Sun, 5 Jan 1997 21:25:21 -0700
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To:            Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       cable

> Subscriber: davide-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net Sun Jan  5 20:58:29 1997
> Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 23:26:36 -0600
> From: David Euans <davide-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
> To: Tesla group <tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com>
> Subject: cable
>
> Does anyone know of a source of a "super flexible" cable with four 6 or
> 4 ga. conductors as mentioned by Richard Hull some time ago on one of
> his videos?
>

> [ Look under electrical supplies in the yellow pages.  I got a bunch of 3
> conductor 6 ga. wire with a neoprene cover at an electrical contractor's supply
> shop.  It's not cheap, but it's very flexible.  Don't get the romex kind, as that
> is fairly stiff. -- Chip]

The wire Chip referred to is called type SO cable.  It is really
expensive (when you hear the price per foot you'll probably say
SOB!),  but it is the best for making the main AC power cord for any
portable electrical equipment that needs a power cord with a plug on
the end, including a powerful, pole pig driven TC system.  The most flexible
cable you can probably get (because the thousands of individual strands are very
small guage for extra flexibility) is single conductor, neoprene covered standard
welding cable.  It is available in small guages like #6 and #4 AWG up
to much larger guages like #000.  I use #000 welding cable for my
system tether to RF ground with no complaints.  This seems to be
acceptable up to a 50 foot straight run at 10 kVA  system power,
probably more. It is not uncommon in the electrical power industry to tape 3 or
4 of these into a cable with electrical tape every foot or so.  Welding
cable also makes excellent cable for the primary circuit interconnect
wire, especially the flying tap lead for the primary.

rwstephens