[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Air core chokes?

I'd like to protect my neon with chokes and spark gaps as per the list.
But, I don't know where to get the toroid cores I've seen mentioned
on this list.  Is it possible to wind an air-core choke to get some
protection?  I have a fair amount of #30 and #18 magnet wire at the
moment.

Also, how do I set the gaps on a protective spark gap?  Just set it
'till it stops firing, or can I calculate what I need.  (12kv 30ma neon
and probably about .005 uF main capacitance.)

Lastly, I have seen schematics where there is a .001 uf cap for
protection too.  Am I correct in assuming that I have to deduct this
from the .005 uf main cap to avoid overloading the neon?  I guess the
sparks will suffer but the longevity will be better.

	Steve Falco
	sfalco-at-worldnet.att-dot-net