[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid and Conducting Clay?

At 10:26 PM 1/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: jgore-at-cyberramp-dot-net Fri Jan  3 21:47:44 1997
>Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 04:06:48 +0000
>From: jgore-at-cyberramp-dot-net
>To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>Subject: Toroid and Conducting Clay?
>
>I have made a Toroid out of four air vent elbow joints.
>This is the hard sheet metal type, not the flexible stuff.
>However, it has some sharp edges. When I crank up my coil
>it sprays purple flames and corona everywhere (not long nice arcs).
>
>My question is this: Besides solder, does anyone know of a way to
>fill in and smooth the edges of something like this? A conducting
>clay that hardens? Anything?
>
>I know, I know. Everyone is going to tell me how to build a toroid
>now! Well, I'm sticking with this one no matter what. At this point
>I'm just looking for materials I might use to smooth it up. And, I
>can think of allot of other uses for a conducting clay that hardens.
>There must be something out there!
>
>[ There is aluminum tape available at hardware stores in the ductwork
>  section.  You could also try covering up the points with some silicone
>  sealant (RTV) -- Chip ]

What you are looking for is called "Metal to Metal", it is like bondo but is
made with aluminum powder and some other metals. It comes in a two part
mixture and is sandable and workable just like bondo. We used it when I
worked in a body shop painting cars, we would use it to attempt to fill
cancer on cars around the winshield and rear window.

Give it a try, the local auto-body shop will have it and it is cheap.
   * T   E   S   L   A      C   O   I   L   S *
Kevin Nardelle   knardell-at-accesscom-dot-net
My main web page soon to be all TESLA
related with lotsa pictures and links.
http://www.accesscom-dot-net/nardell

Non related sites I have
The Louisiana Swamps Online (Under construction)
http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev
Get me on CuSeeMe for live video and chat!
Shop talk, Show and tell, Ect...
The Continuum Reflector-High speed and Color
204.107.221.9 Conf. ID 2601