[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HELP ME PLEASE!

At 10:25 PM 1/3/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> Subject: Re: HELP ME PLEASE!
>
>Subscriber: bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com Fri Jan  3 21:46:59 1997
>Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 01:26:35 -0800
>From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: HELP ME PLEASE!
>
>Tesla List wrote:
>>
>> Subscriber: jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com Thu Jan  2 23:21:58 1997
>> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 05:15:24 GMT
>> From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: Re: HELP ME PLEASE!
>>
>> >Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 19:05:21 -0600
>> >From: Kevin <knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
>> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> >Subject: Re: HELP ME PLEASE!

>> [snip]
>> >

>> >Jim, the coil works like I have it, just not doing anything big, I have not
>> >fried my neon,
>> YET! You will:( I have; many others have also.
>> > only blew the caps because I opened the gaps to far. If I set
>> >the system up like you said to, and I did, it don't work and the gaps won't
>> >fire. The neon sits there and goes hummmmmmmmmmmmm.
>> >

>> Kevin,
>>         It sounds like your SW caps are resonating with the leakage
>> inductance of your neon (this produces a higher voltage) and without
>> the higher voltage the gaps will not conduct.
>>
>> You have 6 3.5" ice tea bottles (memory here). Maybe Bert can
>> calculate your capacitance (hint, hint;)
>>
>> While Bert's working, try the parallel gap/series cap with a smaller
>> gap setting.  The only thing you have to lose by not trying this are
>> your neons.
>>
>>         jim
>
>Jim and Kevin,
>
>When I was looking at Kevin's coil specs before, I tried to make an
>estimate of the size of his caps. Regular wine-cooler or beer bottle
>caps come in at around 500-550 pF/bottle. With the larger diameter of
>Kevin's iced tea bottles, I'd estimate his to be closer to 1000-1100 pF
>per, so he's probably in the range of 6000 - 6600 pF. With two 15-30's
>driving the system, this would place him around 75 Hz... With the lousy
>Q of these transformers and tank caps, he could very well be running
>into some power-frequency resonance effects. If this is the case, the
>transformers really _are_ on borrowed time in this configuration and
>with wide gap settings....
>
>Kevin, do you notice the transformers humming fairly loudly (even if the
>gaps aren't firing)?
>
>Safe coilin' to ya!
>
>-- Bert --

Bert,

It is not the transformers humming, it is the caps sitting on the Al plate.
But to answer your question, no they are not humming. I again am going to
rebuild the tank the way everyone is telling me to but I tried it before and
nothing worked. When I did it the "right" way everything just sat there and
if it had a face, it would be sticking it's tounge out at me. :)-

I shall listen to the coil gods and do it again, I will post the findings.

...Everytime I get things looking a bit better.. RIP!

   * T   E   S   L   A      C   O   I   L   S *
Kevin Nardelle   knardell-at-accesscom-dot-net
My main web page soon to be all TESLA
related with lotsa pictures and links.
http://www.accesscom-dot-net/nardell

Non related sites I have
The Louisiana Swamps Online (Under construction)
http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev
Get me on CuSeeMe for live video and chat!
Shop talk, Show and tell, Ect...
The Continuum Reflector-High speed and Color
204.107.221.9 Conf. ID 2601