[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: does anybody really read these?

>I have plans (circa 1939) for a large Tesla coil that would have been quite
>a project to build!  First you built your own power transformer by
>laminating 40 pounds of iron sheets, which you then wound with several
>thousand turns of 30 gauge double cotton covered wire.  Then you build a
>glass plate capacitor which was mounted in the housing from a large six volt
>battery, then filled with transformer oil.  They did suggest a rotary gap
>would improve performance.  Primary was a cylindrical type, secondary was
>wound on a 14 inch sonotube, dcc 24 ga wire.  No toroid or other top was
>suggested.
>
>So yes, people have used battery cases in the past for capacitors - though
>it would be very important to use one which has never had electrolyte in it.
>
>Bert Pool
>nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net

Bert,
I would agree that any trace of acid would destroy possibly the oil or even
cause rapid breakdown resulting in failure. Would there be any way of
removing this OR even better, sears and other places have batteries on
display with nothing in them, would these be better if one could get hold of
them? How many of these do you think you would need to get the right
capacitance? Also what about poly in place of glass??

                                       Regards,
                                            Kevin Nardelle

   * T   E   S   L   A      C   O   I   L   S *
Kevin Nardelle   knardell-at-accesscom-dot-net
My main web page IS UP all TESLA
related with lotsa pictures and links.
http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev/tesla
http://www.accesscom-dot-net/nardell
Non related sites I have
The Louisiana Swamps Online (Under construction)
http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev