[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

new primary

Hoped to be sending photos of the new coil I bragged about two weeks
ago.  However, it was grossly over-coupled and sparks started breaking
out all over the secondary.  This was with an inverted cone type primary
made of wimpy 4 ga wire at a 45 deg pitch.  We figured that the primary
wasn't going to work well, so the results were not a surprise.

Now we are making a new flat spiral primary from 1/2 in soft copper
tubing spaced 1/2 inch apart - still 10 turns.  Just for the heck of it
we are in the process of silver plating the tubing (all 60+ feet of
it).  I know we are only gaining approx 4% better conductivity over
copper, but it does look nice!!  We also gave our secondary two coats of
a two part product called KraftKote.  It makes a tough coating that
seems to be somewhat flexible and therefore might not crack as easily as
Behr Build 50.  Only time will tell.  We also used a product called Eat
a Bubble that helps remove the small bubbles that form in the curing
process of epoxies.  We got both products from a company called Klock
Kit.  I don't have the phone # in front of me, but will find it if
anyone is interested.

Will post photos when we get it all back together, hopefully in the next
two weeks

Dave Euans