[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary coil

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: ADatesman-at-aol-dot-com Wed Jan 15 21:16:07 1997
> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 19:46:14 -0500 (EST)
> From: ADatesman-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Primary coil
>
> Folks -
>   Could anybody point me to instructions for building a primary coil (there
> is lots of info. floating about regarding the secondary coil, but I don't
> recall so much for this portion of the circuit.)  I've read many references
> to 3/8 copper tubing, half-inch spacing with a 30 degree bank.  Why?
>    Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks,
>                                       Aaron Datesman

Aaron:
	I would suggest that you download two programs that helped me, one
about a year ago and the other is a bit new.  Both will simplify
claculating some of the coil parameters you are presently getting a grip
on.
	Go to:  ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/misc

Download teslac.zip and/or teslaexl.zip -- the second one requires that
you have Microsoft Excel.  I have found teslaexl.zip the handier of the
two for my situation and preferences--pick your own favorite!  It was a
recent contribution from Ed Sonderman, thanks again Ed!!
	I have pasted a copy of a post from a 1995 that was done by Richard
Quick--he hasn't been around lately but he has done significant coiling
and has really helped many on this list already.  I hope you find his
comments on primary coils helpful.  I found this post to be the most
complete summary of many of the thoughts and ideas that have been posted
in separate e-mails--Richard had this information and tied it all
together for many new into the hobby.  You'll probably get several other
replies to your question so I hope between all the responses you can get
a good start.  Wish you luck.

Chuck Curran