[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid

On Wed, 1 Jan 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> >Can anyone tell me where to get a good factory made toroid or how to make a
> >good one.  I have several but they all are made with 4" flexable dryer hose
> >and aluminum foil, stove pipe elbows, basket ball with aluminum foil.  The
> That is what i am going to do, I am going to the airport (Previous
> Employment) and I am going to cut my own on a CNC. I have not priced the
> aluminum block but depending on the grade of aluminum you use, the weight
> will vary greatly. 400 LBS is a very very big toroid and you must be talking
> about structural grade aluminum.

I did find some Al-toroids recently. They are about 80cm diameter,
20cm cross-section.

Source? Old _CENTRIFUGE_ !!! Centrifuge uses such as a SHIELD around
the things being rotated at 10000+ RPM.. I rescued a couple such
toroids for 10FIM/kg = 2USD/kg and with Al-walls of about 1mm thick
they were for free practically - light-weight!

So, perhaps calling some company that sells/overhauls centrifuges will
help in acquiring a spun toroid! It's "always" cheaper to acquire some
ready-made part than to custom-order it..

  Kristian Ukkonen.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law |