[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quenching--more

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com Mon Dec 23 13:38:46 1996
> Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 23:42:12 -0500
> From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Optimal Quenching--more
>
> Bert,
> Yes, the quenching in this system is definitely borderline (for first notch
> quenching).  I'll attempt to give more info. on the rotary,etc.  The rotary
> is synchronous, and fires once each half-cycle, somewhere near the peak of
> the incoming AC peak (120 breaks per sec.).  It's a super-series-rotary, or
> multiple gap rotary in the sense that each time the gap fires, the spark has
> to travel, in series, through all 12 spinning and opposing non-spinning
> electrodes.  In other words, this gap is similar to Richard Hull's rotary on
> his magnifier, I first learned about this type of gap from Richard.  In this
> gap, however, the electrodes are not evenly spaced around the periphery of
> the rotor disc, instead they are arranged in two identical (but mirror image)
> "clusters".  Let's say the distance between electrodes in each cluster is 1
> 1/2", then the distance between clusters is perhaps 2 1/4".  The result of
> this construction is that although the rotary has 12 sets of electrodes, the
> electrodes can only line up and fire twice during each revolution.  Thus, the
> rotary speed of 3600 RPM gives 120 breaks/sec.  I use the low break-rate to
> keep the gaps cool to aid in quenching.

big snip

> Let me know if you need more specs on my set-up.
> John Freau

I feel that if you are the type that insists on using synchronous rotary
gaps, that this is probably the best such system or gap ever designed.

 I have seen it work and it works well, though a good variable speed
non-synchronous unit could come close to miming its operation, it would
not yield the obvious tell-tale signature of the snychronous gap which
some of us coilers find interesting.   Good work John.

Richard Hull, TCBOR