[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Explanation of the positive E.S. charge

At 09:10 PM 1/29/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com Wed Jan 29 20:57:32 1997
>Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:34:19 -0800
>From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Explanation of the positive E.S. charge
>
>1/29/96
>
>Richard,
>
>Does your source only theorize this mechanism or do they provide hard
>experimental evidence?
>
>An easy experiment would be placing your small TC in various containers
>and charging the ball.  A plastic 5-10 gallon bucket or metal bucket
>would be a good start.  A Bell jar and vacuum would be best.  What
>about a chicken wire grid at ground or other potentials?  A magnetic
>field, ala CRT, to divert the ions or electrons in front of the ball is
>another option.
>
>If you fire the coil without spark breakout does the ball charge
>positive?
>
>RWW

Richard,

The reference I have, As I said, supplies lots of solid examples.  The
specific work they site is that done by General Electric researchers in the
30s.  They note that this is all done at atmospheric pressures and with
rapid high impulse discharges to air.  Most of the book concerns itself with
conduction within vacuums and low pressure gases but they also delightfully
supply info for air scenarios as well in a number of cases.  They further
stress that it is a field related thing coupled with electron emission.
Rydberg atoms like fields on the order of 300 million volts per cm to form.
I would imagine with electron emission, this might be reduced a bit so that
what we might be seeing is Rydberg atoms.  I have always left this
possibility open.  Rydberg atoms are bipolar!!  The outer electron orbital
in a Rydberg can cause the atom to be a 100s of microns in diameter,
orbiting over an area 10s of millions of times larger than the normal
quantum number n=1.  Rydbergs can easily attain n=100 or more.

If no spark breaks out in the TC tests, the charge is reduced at range over
two orders of magnitude!

If we tryed the TC test in a vacuum, we would have a simple field emission
diode, ala electronic tube fame.  I have an old vacuum diode from an HV line
test set that uses this principle and it works incredibly well as a normal
diode with not heater! Virtually impossible to break down with reverse
voltage, no fils to burn out, no silcon to fuse.  As long as you have a
vacuum, you have a diode.

In a trashcan, charge is still charge and the differing dielectrics
(air/HDPE/air) is all thats needed to transport the charge out of the
system, ala Greg Leyh and the plastic booth!  Electrostatic coupling across
differing dielectrics. A potential wave is a potential wave whether it is
enhanced by ionic conduction or not.

Richard Hull, TCBOR