[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Toroid

At 09:10 PM 1/29/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: c604313-at-showme.missouri.edu Wed Jan 29 20:57:23 1997
>Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:33:57 -0600 (CST)
>From: c604313-at-showme.missouri.edu
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Cc: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Top Toroid
>

>   Jeff,
>    Here is a small list of Toroids and there capacitance in picofarads:
>
>   Toroid (height X diameter)         Picofarads
>
>          3 X 12                        12.95
>          5 X 14                        16.08
>          5 X 20                        21.58
>          7 X 30                        32.17
>          6 X 36                        37.18
>         12 X 36                        40.84
>          8 X 48                        49.58
>         12 X 48                        51.79
>         12 X 60                        63.32
>         20 X 60                        68.07
>

>    The Toroid is measured in inches.
>    One quick remark. try to construct the cap with the least amount of
>metal just a thin shell of metal is best (aluminum duct tape on 4 pvc
>joints fitted together works well) The reason being is that the top cap is
>also in the midst of the magnetic field that is set up by the primary ind.
>If the terminal cap was a solid chunk of metal, the changing magnetic
>field would set up an E field in the cap and induce current flow causing
>heating of the Terminal cap which is a waste of energy. you don't want the
>toroid to soak up the energy of the magnetic field you want that energy to
>be soaked up by your secondary coil.
>     There is a good toroid home brew description on Bill Beaty's Tesla
>web page.
>                       enjoy!
>                           --Bert S.

Bert,

I trust these are calculated values!!!  I can almost tell due to the fact
they are all in error from real world, honest to God, measured values.  A
true, relative isolated toroid is usually about 25-30% lower in capacity
than the calcs say it is.  My 12X3 spun unit is 7.8pf and my 5X20 is 15.1
pf.  put them on a coil and they can appear to be even more than calculated!
It's a crap shoot!  The thrust is that the math isn't even close for  any
form of critical engineering purposes. Especially on small toroids.

Richard Hull, TCBOR